Table of Contents
Welcome to Acquired Tastes, our bi-weekly newsletter dedicated to the fascinating individuals in the Hashtag Survival community!
In this edition, we spotlight Eric, the creator of SurvivalGamingClub! SGC is another resource aimed at helping folks find survival games to enjoy.
My name is Eric Whitehouse, AKA, Mantase, AKA, Survival Gaming Club.
I am the creator of SurvivalGamingClub.com- you may have seen me on the SurvivalGaming subreddit before. I started playing PC games in 1991, getting hooked on one of the Wizardry RPG games. I played on a high-tech Tandy 1000 PC with its operating system and a whopping 1 MEG of RAM. Eventually, I upgraded to 3 megs with two one-meg ram sticks that cost over 500.00. Money I definitely did not have, but I was hooked and have been hooked ever since. After playing MMOs and FPS for decades, starting with EQ1 and Quake, I have found survival games.
I met my current wife of 20+ years playing the original Diablo online in 1998. We moved into MMO classics like Everquest 1 + 2, DAOC, and many others in between.
I started playing survival games, Green Hell to be specific, after a long gaming lull, I had found modern games to be boring and not that challenging until I fell into “hell”. I spent hours and hours dying in the starting area, and I have been hooked on survival games ever since. The sense of accomplishment is very rewarding in itself. I play as many as possible and find locating new games in one place impossible. I decided to try and make a web page to provide a place where survival gamers could find their next fix.
Check Out Some Games I Love!
Not survival, but I enjoy:
- Red Dead Redemption 2 is just absolutely mind-blowing in every way.
- No Man's Sky absolutely fascinates me in every way; on a technology level, this game is a masterpiece.
For a tiptop survival experience, I recommend:
- Green Hell
- The Forest
- The Long Dark
Some Things I Love
- My wife and I love to go camping; our favorite place is Acadia National Park in Maine. It is beautiful, loaded with hiking trails, and is dog friendly,
- Which brings me to my next recommendation. Border Collies! If you are looking for a dog and have some space and time, you will not find a more fun and loyal companion. We have 2- Bella and Texas- and I love them both like children.
- My favorite bass fishing lake is Lake Sam Rayburn in Texas.
- I love my Logitech 915 Keyboard. I am one of the few people that actually seems to like G-hub as well. It is slightly hard to navigate but is very robust in allowing hotkeys and lighting.
- I also love my Masterbuilt electric smoker. Set it and forget it, cooks great every time, and you don't have to add wood or charcoal to it every 30 minutes.