Table of Contents
Welcome to Acquired Tastes, our bi-weekly newsletter dedicated to the fascinating individuals in the Hashtag Survival community!
In this edition, we spotlight JustRob, a YouTube content creator with a channel dedicated to an eclectic array of survival titles- and a fair amount of curses. 😂
Hi! I’m Rob! JustRob.
For as long as I can remember, I have always loved video games. Believe it or not, it was my 70-year-old grandma that got me hooked on video games. We used to spend the entire day speedrunning Super Mario 3 levels and finding new ways to exploit games. Jumping ahead to my teen years, my brothers and I dumped 10,000 hours each into 007 Goldeneye. (The GOAT) As always, we would find new ways to break or exploit the game. Not much has changed.
- I am a musician. I play the upright bass and have done it semi-professionally. I could have quit my job and done it full-time, but it’s a rough life, and COVID put a hurt on my potential career.
- I LOVE to cook, and I love to feed people. The famous words of my Italian Grandmother come to mind. “You’re too skinny; I could snap you like a twig. You need to eat; I’ll make you food.”
- My girlfriend and I own a retail business together. We have three physical locations and an online store. We are in North Carolina. Visit if you are nearby! If not! Here’s the store - Light Years Jewelry
(Shameless self-promotion is my other hobby.)
As for content creation, it started with Stranded Deep. For some reason, I picked up the game and just couldn't put it down. It's not a great game, but it has a vibe that suits me well. I remember struggling with one of the bosses and looking for guides on YouTube. Every video I found was either 45 minutes of BS followed by the wrong answer or a guide that didn't deliver. As mentioned above, I always digress when I stumble on a possible game exploit. So, I figured it out and created the video I wished I had. It was 3 minutes long. It didn't waste any time, and it delivered. Those videos blew up, and people started asking other questions. I like to help people, and I continue to find and share exploits, which brings me here.
The video that blew up was created with bad audio and the editing was ok at best. I have recently revised the video with better sound, editing, and more information. (It’s STILL only 3 minutes)
(And if you like it—there’s a very large rabbit hole to explore on my channel =) )
Check Out Some Games I Love!
- God of War (2018) - I am a huge fan of mythology. Mixing Greek and Norse mythology into a game piqued my curiosity. The game has amazing graphics, breathtaking views, a badass main character, and some taut moments. It checked all the boxes for me. Also... I love Stargate. The main character (Kratos) was voiced by Christopher Judge. AKA Teal'c from SG1. I wish I had a reaction video for the moment I realized this. hahaha
- 7 Days to Die - You could easily spend a few thousand hours on this game. The replayability is on point. What else can I say!?
- Immortals Fenyx Rising (PS4)- I don't know how I ended up with this game, but I was immediately interested in it. It is cheeky and fun but also has a lot of adult humor that made me chuckle a bit. Lots of small innuendos. This game is also based on mythology. Eventually, you fight Achilles and I believe they did him justice in the game.
- Assassins Creed Odyssey - My first Assassin’s Creed game was Assassin’s Creed Vahalla and I loved it, but I didn't know anything about the lore of ACC. So I ended up playing it backward.... Sort of a mistake but Oddessy was graphically amazing. The storyline was a total win. Mythology!!! Also... Kassandra = <3
- Battlefield 2042 - 2 years ago, This game would NEVER have made the list. But after a complete failure of a launch, 2042 has become the game that it should have been upon release. Corporate BS... Many mistakes were made and many have been fixed. However, the damage is done. 2042 is now a good and fun game if you can find a lobby. It will never be as good as Battlefield 4.
Some things I love.
These four places are amazing: you should visit them.
- Lake Street Dive—"Musta Been Something"
- Chet Atkins - 1987 - Chet Atkins & Friends (Mark Knopfler) Certified Guitar Player - YouTube
- Cary Ann Hearst - Cary Ann Hearst - American Made Machine - YouTube
- I may or may not be the bass player in this video, Drew Foust & the Slim Pickins-"Don't Lose Your Mind"
- Tom is a weird dude. I love him. Fun fact. Heath Ledger's inspiration for the Joker was Tom Waits. Tom Waits - Reality is for people who can't face drugs - YouTube
PS- You should click this. - Ren - Hi Ren (Official Music Video) - YouTube