Table of Contents
Welcome to Acquired Tastes, our bi-weekly newsletter about the unique folks in the Hashtag Survival community!
This week, we feature SnowBee- a popular YouTube creator focused primarily on mods for 7 Days to Die.
I am a YouTuber from South Africa. I lived much of my life on the East Coast, grew up surfing (body boarding), and then went to study down in the southwest of the country, and have been living here for over 20 years. I only started gaming in my early 20s, and with my first job, I saved enough money to buy a PC. My current work is related to IT, and my hobby is gaming, so I spend a lot of time in front of a computer. My wife and three children are avid gamers, and occasionally we play co-op together. Just not often enough!
When I started gaming, I mainly enjoyed Real Time Strategy (RTS) games, such as Command and Conquer and Red Alert. I slowly shifted to primarily Role-playing games (RPGs). I am unsure why; just they appealed to me more as I grew older. While playing these, I started to get involved with the survival genre, as they sometimes go hand in hand. So, when a game with a combination of RPG and Survival comes along, it will usually pique my interest.
So, how did I get to start my survival-themed YouTube channel? While playing the game 7 Days to Die, I struggled to find information about certain overhaul mods. Often, getting mod info was by watching someone play many hours of playthrough footage. It was annoying as I was trying to compare two mods and could not find enough information. So, it struck me that I could start a YouTube channel and do feature guides that would give players a good idea of what to expect in under 20 minutes.
I named the channel after the "SnowBee" nickname a friend gave me many years before. It was from a cool drink I liked, similar to a Slushee, and I used to buy many of them. Unfortunately, the cooldrink has since stopped being sold. :(
Check Out Some Games I Love!
- Mount and Blade - So many hours of enjoyment in this- was one of my best games. Due to time, I have not played Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord much.
- The Witcher 3 - I greatly enjoyed Skyrim, though the Witcher 3 was perfect in many ways. I started over three times, each time only getting halfway through the story and becoming bogged down with all the side quests and just exploring. Eventually, I got to finish the main storyline.
- Total War franchise - I enjoyed the early years of the Total War games. Shogun, Shogun II, Medieval, Medieval II, Rome: Total War, and Empire. It was around the time of Rome II that I started losing interest. I am unsure why, but I think the games began to get too fast for my liking. I spent too much time stopping and pausing to survey the battlefield. They still have a place in my history of most loved games.
- Guild Wars - I spent nearly 15 years on Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. It's the only MMORPG that I played religiously. Guild Wars 2 is the only game I have ever bought the collectors edition for. Indeed, I have many happy memories with these two games, though I spent too much money on a free-to-play game! I dip into it now and then, though for now, my eldest son still plays the PVP aspect of it a lot.
- 7 Days to Die - Modded! Yeah, it must be modded. I don't enjoy the vanilla version much but pack the vanilla game into an overhaul mod like Darkness Falls, Undead Legacy, Apocalypse Now, or Age of Oblivion, and I will be a delighted camper indeed.
5 Things I Love
- Razer Naga Mouse - I have used various Naga mouse devices for nearly ten years. It has been so helpful that of all my PC hardware, I would recommend this.
- Queen - My favorite band of all time! So much talent and songwriting packed into one band. Freddie Mercury was a phenomenal singer and writer, though I also enjoy many of the other songs the band wrote, with A Night at the Opera being my favorite album.
- Hot Curry - I grow chili and hot pepper plants. Mainly Carolina Reapers, Habanero, and Ghost Peppers. My wife works magic with making curry, and beef curry is the best!
- Amistad (favorite movie) - I enjoy so many movies, but one that has always stood out is Amistad: fantastic acting, imagery, and brilliant movie.
- Star Trek Series- I love most of the Star Trek series, with Star Trek: New Generation being my most memorable. Probably Voyager coming in close behind. Sigh, no, maybe it is Deep Space Nine as a close second.